What does it mean to have a loose vagina’? Although not defined medically, the common notion is that a woman with a ‘loose vagina’ is unable to experience heightened pleasure as the tissues are unable to contract or relax properly during sex.
There are a lot of speculations around the tightness of the vagina. Several researches and experiments have been conducted to understand the probable reasons for the vagina becoming loose.
How does the vagina become loose?
The vagina never retains its original state. As the anatomy of a female keeps on changing with time, so does the vagina. So how does the vagina change over time?
Well, the changes in the vagina primarily refer to the changes related to its elasticity and not the physical structure in general. Contrary to the belief that regular sex makes the vagina looser , the vagina actually lacks its tightness over time due to other factors.
After vaginal childbirth clubbed with aging, the vagina loses its elasticity as the pelvic floor muscles get disrupted. Hence, several women after childbirth experience extreme irritation and are unable to hold their pee for long.
While pushing the baby through the vaginal canal, the muscles stretch excessively. Although these tissues contract on their own within a couple of days, some laxity remains and the vagina may not return to its original shape.
As age progresses, the hormonal levels in women also change. Women who are reaching menopause tend to produce lower levels of estrogen that contributes to change in vagina’s elasticity. Thus, menopausal women are more prone to suffering from vaginal looseness as the tissues become less flexible, dry and thinner.
5 simple-yet-effective tips that can help tighten a loose vagina
The following are some tried and tested methods you can try in case to get rid of excess vaginal laxity. However, each person responds differently to the methods as each of them suffer from different extent of looseness.
1.Try Kegel and Pelvic-Tilt Exercises
The first and foremost option you can try to tighten your vagina is- doing kegel. But does it mean to do kegel exercises? Kegel exercises aim to strengthen and ability to control the vaginal or pelvic floor muscles through a method of contraction.
Kegel exercises are quite easy to practice. While doing a Kegel, you have to simply imagine that you are trying to stop peeing mid-stream. Here’s how to do one round of Kegel-
- First, you need to locate your pelvic floor muscles. For this, contract your pelvic muscles and prevent yourself from peeing. If you are able to, you have successfully isolated the vaginal tissues.
- Once you are able to isolate the pelvic floor muscles, lie on your back on the floor.
- Contract the pelvic muscles for 5 seconds while inhaling.
- Relax for the next 5 seconds.
Another way to strengthen the vaginal muscles is by trying pelvic tilt exercise. Experts recommend that patients should do this 10 sets, 5 times a day. Here is a step-by-step guide explaining how to do a pelvic tilt exercise-
- Start with standing against a wall such that the shoulders and butt touch the wall. Make sure that the knees remain soft.
- Keeping your back straight against the wall, breathe in and pull your navel towards the spine.
- Hold in the navel for at least 4 seconds and release gently.
For better results, you can try practicing Kegel and pelvic tilt exercises with vaginal weights such as cones. You have to insert these cones into the vagina and squeeze the vagina muscles for 15 minutes.
2.Change diet plan
A lot of women tend to ignore what they eat on a daily basis. Not keeping a track of daily food items can affect the vagina negatively. The compounds of some food items such as processed foods, fatty items, etc. can disrupt the normal vagina pH and weaken the pelvic floor making it prone to several infections and vaginal dryness.
Gynecologists recommend eating the following food items to tighten the vaginal muscles–
- Eggs as they contain amino acids, calcium, zinc, iron and essential vitamins such as A,B,E required for cell growth.
- Not all fat is harmful for the body. For instance, fishes such as sardines, salmon, mackerel are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids are rich in anti-inflammatory properties that repair destroyed cells and promote hormone production.
- Carrots, berries, apples, fenugreek, sesame seeds, soybeans, and pomegranates are rich in natural estrogen. Thus, eating these regularly keeps the estrogen levels normal thereby, ensuring that the vaginal area remains moist and supple.
Another home remedy that can tighten the vagina effectively within a short period of time is practicing yoga regularly. Yoga aims to prevent the vaginal muscles to lose their elasticity by keeping the pelvic floor strong and promoting estrogen production.
Yoga practitioners recommend the following list of asanas and poses that can help the vaginal function normally-
- Pranayama or Breathing technique
- Setubandhasa or Bridge pose
- Upavistha Konasana or Wide-legged Straddle pose
- Salamba Sarvangasana or Shoulder stand
- Balasana or Child’s pose
- Utthan Pristhasana or Lizard pose
- Supta Baddha Konasana or Goddess pose
- Adho Mukha Svanasana or Downward Dog
- Eka Pada Rajakapotasana or Pigeon pose
- Garudasana or Eagle pose
- Halasana or Plow pose
4.Laser Vaginal Tightening
Laser vaginal tightening is a non-surgical elective procedure that is performed on an outpatient basis. During this Laser vaginal procedure, the doctor inserts a laser probe that emits laser energy into the vaginal tissues. The heat from this energy stimulates collagen production that tightens these tissues.
The benefit of this procedure is that the whole procedure takes only 20 minutes to complete and the patient doesn’t feel any pain other than some tingling sensation.
Vaginoplasty is the surgical counterpart of laser vaginal tightening. The objective of tightening the vagina remains the same. The only difference is that instead of using a laser, the doctor uses a scalpel to open up the vagina and places sutures on the tissues to tighten the vagina.
Vaginoplasty surgery is primarily prescribed when the patient suffers from excessive looseness down there.
In conclusion, the vaginal tissue loses its elasticity and tightness when the female body doesn’t produce sufficient estrogen primarily due to aging and childbirth. Thankfully, there are some home remedies, non-surgical and surgical procedures that a patient can consider to cure looseness in the vagina. However, it is suitable to get in touch with a gynecologist who can single out the actual reasons for the condition and even provide the appropriate treatment.